As spirit beings, we are able to step away from outside of ourselves and observe who we really are. Click To Tweet. I don’t believe animals are able to do that. This is a treasured gift made available to humans.
In our quest for a deeper understanding of life’s meaning, and to get clarity, over time we develop our self-identities. With this search, the age-old questions of ‘who am I?’ and ‘why am I here?’ top the chart of ‘frequently ask questions’ that can be found anywhere. This cannot be avoided. You see, we weren’t randomly placed on this earth to make up numbers. Much like a piece in a zig-saw puzzle, each of us forms part of a bigger picture of this thing called life. We were meant to play specific roles. I can’t fill your shoe neither can you fill mine.
Since this is true, we must continue our quest to identify what that purpose is. What is that great work that causes your soul to stir? What is the thing that drives you to rise and shine in the mornings? What is the last thing you think about before your go to bed? What is that problem you can’t wait to solve in the mornings?
The answers will be different for everyone but one thing remains constant – it gives us life.
I have narrowed my purpose down to this – “life transformation through inspiration’. The reason I get up every day and do what I do i.e. podcasting, writing, speaking, entrepreneurship, is that I get a platform where I can inspire others to action through my story. Many people live vicariously through my eyes. Now everything I’ve ever been through in life makes sense. The depression, abuse, pain, neglect, rejection…it’s all abundantly clear, why. My life is a story of transformation, hope and triumph. And I love it.
Are you living on purpose? Here are some ways in which you can be sure.
- It is true that if you love what you do, you will never have to work a day in your life. When you truly love what you are doing you will be excited about doing it. The result is an obsession that is almost inexplicable and you enjoy every moment of it. This gives you joy and a true sense of reason for living. In the moments that you feel like you want to stay in bed and simply let time pass by, there is a constant reminder of the reasons not to and your energy comes from that.
- There are times others may be trying to get your attention but you are so focused it appears that there is no one around. You are always focused when doing what you love. You do not allow yourself to get distracted. ‘Random’ social events will not appeal to you much, as your gaze is affixed on your prize.
- You have a strong underlying belief that you are doing what you were created for. You may have tried several things before and soon found that your interest in them disappeared as quickly as they came.
- You keep a clear vision all the time of where you want to reach irrespective of any ‘failure’ that may happen along the way.
- Even with a clear vision, there are times you are not quite sure of what to do. As chapters unfold and phases roll out and define themselves, you stay open to guidance from professionals, books, CDs, the internet or whatever resource is available to you. Although it is your purpose, you will never be able to accomplish it alone. Forging strategic alliances with the right people and organizations and having the right tools, is a sure way to get ahead.
- You keep going when the going gets tough; in those times when things don’t seem to be going right. The odds all appear to be stacked up against you; yet you refuse to give up because you know that anything that is worth fighting for usually comes with challenges
- You surprise even yourself at your persistence and drive to press on. Challenges are inevitable; it is how you deal with them that will determine whether you are doing what you were called to do. Despite the challenges, hurdles, trials, tribulations and frustrations, you look in retrospect with delight knowing that you have totally enjoyed the experience anyway and have no regrets. The mistakes were merely lessons to learn from. You say to yourself, these mistakes only meant that you tried something new.
- Sometimes you find that many of the opportunities that are aligned to your purpose just seem to fall into place easily and things appear to ‘just happen’. The telephone calls, emails, connections and people just seem to appear serendipitously to give guidance and assistance; things that seem to happen out of the apparent blue. The truth is, nothing happens by chance.
I’d love to hear about your purpose. Leave a comment below.